There are both personal and financial benefits to filing by the April 15 deadline.
On the personal side, having a recent and complete tax return on hand will make your financial life easier. You will not have to scramble mid-year if you want to refinance your mortgage, fill out the FASFA for college, or apply for another loan which requires proof of income. Filing your taxes early can also provide peace of mind, knowing you are less likely to be a victim of fraud by locking in your tax filing.
Financially, filing your taxes by April 15 almost always makes more sense. If your 2020 income was lower than in years past, filing your taxes now will certify your 2020 income, allowing you to claim any missed Economic Impact Payments, and facilitate your qualification of future payments. If you have a refund due, receive it sooner by filing sooner. If you owe, file, and make a plan to pay your taxes to avoid additional late payment penalties Finally, filing your 2020 taxes early in 2021 will give you a head start on your tax planning for 2021.
Personal reasons to file your taxes by April 15, 2021:
- Convenience of having a current tax return on hand
- Prevent tax fraud by filing for yourself before someone else
- Use tax info to inform goal planning
- Peace of mind
Financial reasons to file your taxes by April 15, 2021:
- Report lower and more accurate income for 2020
- Claim unreceived Economic Impact Payments
- Receive your tax refund sooner than later
- Avoid additional late payment penalties if you owe taxes
- Use 2020 numbers to inform your 2021 tax planning before 2021 is over
So, what are you waiting for? Call 404-996-2421 to schedule a consultation with Shoebox Tax Prep today.